Tuesday, October 27, 2009

2300 Thoughts

Yankees Vision

I recently purchased a vintage designed New York Yankee shirt. It is a replica of Mickey Mantle’s jersey. Amazon is currently carrying several such shirts. Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and others are available right now. Interestingly enough at a slightly lower price than a similar designed shirt for the team’s current players.

I think that is absolutely ingenious public relations. Those guys are legends. Even people who are not New York Yankee fans that I have talked to have gone out and purchased shirts. What the New York Yankees are selling is not so much a shirt, as a memory. A memory of the “good old days” even though the people I know that purchased the shirts were not even alive during the reign of the Babe, they somehow still feel a connection to that time in baseball.

I think the New York Yankees have really hit this one on the head. The idea to sell vintage jersey replica shirts for a slightly smaller fee is a wonderful public relations move on their part. One of my friends purchased a shirt after I told them about their availability to try to illustrate to her new boy friend that she had indeed been a New York Yankee fan for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment