Super Sized Carnival ReAL
ReAL Salt Lake announced on their team blog this week that they would be having a super sized Carnival ReAL before ReAL Salt Lake’ s match versus Chivas Guadalajara. I think this was a very smart public relations move. I think Carnival ReAL has been a great idea that has just not been executed well. ReAL Salt Lake took advantage of a guaranteed large crowd.
This is a perfect game to super size Carnival ReAL. Almost sold out crowd of devoted soccer supporters were bound to attend this game. Having the soccer atmosphere super sized was a great idea. I think ReAL Salt Lake was trying to get more of the Chivas Guadalajara fans that live close to become ReAL Salt Lake fans. I am not sure this was a realistic goal, but I do think it was the intention of ReAL Salt Lake.
I do not think this goal was realistic because Chivas Guadalajara has already created a sister team in the United States in fellow Major League Soccer (MLS) team Chivas USA. Most Chivas Guadalajara fans that live in the United States have become supporters of Chivas USA. Chivas USA was an expansion team the same year ReAL Salt Lake entered the league. I would be hard pressed to see such dedicated fans supporting a local team over their “home” team. I do think ReAL Salt Lake left a good impression though and can easily see Chivas USA fans attending matches between Chivas USA and ReAL Salt Lake.
Some of the events included in the Super Sized Carnival ReAL were a juggling stage, mini-kick game, and a tent where fans could download Boost Mobile ringtones to their phones. Bud Light’s “Bud Girls” offered various giveaway items. KFC gave away vouchers. The carnival area also included the BK Whopper Hopper and the Mountain America Credit Union Speed Kick in addition to giveaways by XanGo, Western Union, X-Insurance, Rocky Mountain Chevy Dealers and Vitality Nutrition. I think the diversity of the events for fans was good and got lots of attendees involved in the Carnival ReAL.
I think ReAL Salt Lake did a really good job on this public relations event before the match. The only complaint in the comments section on the team blog Behind the Shield was concerns that there were no bathrooms available to the public during the pre match festivities at Carnival ReAL. Something that can and should easily be fixed for future events. Over all I would say the Super Sized Carnival ReAL was a success.
Friday, October 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment