Thursday, September 24, 2009

2300 Thoughts

Who Are Ya gets a Yellow Card

Who Are Ya Designs has recently extended their brand to youth sports commentary shirts. I think this move is brilliant! The youth soccer numbers in this country are actually quite large. The opportunities for this company are bright.

The youth company is called Yellow Card Shirts. I think that name is smart because that is a soccer way of saying “tough guy shirts” or “aggressive player shirts.” I think youth players will really latch on to this company. I know when I was starting out in soccer I would have really enjoyed shirts like Yellow Card Shirts is now offering.

I think they have put together a really smart marketing campaign. They started advertising the new company on Who Are Ya Designs’ web page. So all the “soccer moms” that purchase from Who Are Ya Designs will see the advertisement and want to go to Yellow Card Shirts to pick out some shirts for their little soccer stars.

And intense soccer fans like me will spread the word and purchase shirts for the youth that they know. I know I will be giving all of my nieces and nephews that are old enough to wear youth shirts product from Yellow Card Shirts this year for Christmas. I can easily see some of those shirts being designated team shirts and purchased by soccer coaches for their teams.

The majority of the shirts are replicas of shirts on the Who Are Ya Designs page (ex: Throwball, Here Come the Yanks, Lets see you run for 90min, Bob Played, Nutmeg, I spit on my gloves, and Messi10) . So the parents can have a similar shirt to their child. Also coaches and fans can wear similar shirts to games. The most interesting addition shirts were the Mia Hamm, Match Fit, and "If it was easy it would be baseball" shirts on the Yellow Card Shirts.

The one edit to a shirt that really strikes me as intelligent is the “Divers” shirts. They created a “G” rated version of the shirt for Yellow Card Shirts. Instead of the shirt reading “Divers are Wankers” as it does on Who Are Ya Designs, the youth shirt reads “Divers are Cheaters” much more age appropriate in my opinion.

Just a side note I think another clever thing they did was used Yellow Card in the name. They may get some random hits from people looking to purchase “Yellow Card shirts” and finding their web page, not a page associated with the band.

All in all I think they have done a good job with advertising this smart market addition. I think they will be very successful in this new market.

No comments:

Post a Comment